Grade 6: Introduction to Egghead (Making Predictions) comment due Wednesday: 9/18

Today students were asked to complete a Bullying Awareness Survey. This anonymous survey provided students with a series of questions relating to their own personal experiences with bullying. We will analyze this data as a class in preparation for our first novel study. Tomorrow our class will discuss the results of this survey and create connections to our North Stars and Seven Habits.

Each student was given a copy of the novel Egghead by Caroline Pignat. Tomorrow we will have the opportunity to begin the novel in class. Throughout this novel study, students will be asked to read both in class and at home. There will be corresponding activities for each chapter throughout the novel.

Please respond to the following task below via a comment to this post:

Students are asked to comment a prediction about the novel Egghead based solely off of the front cover of the book. Support your prediction by referencing specific details from the cover. (Think about the following question: Why could making predictions be an important reading skill?)

16 thoughts on “Grade 6: Introduction to Egghead (Making Predictions) comment due Wednesday: 9/18

1. I think what’s going to happen is a boy gets bullied because he’s different. Also, maybe the reason why the book is called egghead is because he doesn’t believe in himself. Everything mean said to him goes to his head and so his head is delicate like an egg.

2. Hi Mr. Washerstein, my prediction is that there will be a kid with a weird shaped head because of the name Egghead, and he will also be a bullied because in class we did the survey on Anti-Bullying today in your class.

3. My prediction is that there is a new kid who used to be in middle school but is now going to high school. I think that he gets bullied in middle school and he has someone to stick up for him. But now that they are going to high school she doesn’t really want to stick up for him any more.

4. My prediction for the novel Egghead is that there is a boy who gets bullied. It looks like he is miserable by the look on his face. By the egg being cracked it sounds like his life is falling apart. It sounds like he has been bullied for all of his life because of how he looks.

5. In the book Egghead, I think that there will be a person that got bullied because of who he is but then he stood up to the bully and the bully didn’t bully anyone anymore. Also in the cover og the book it looks like there is a face printed onto the egg and it is cracked at the brain. I think this means he is lost and doesn’t know what to do.

6. I think the book Egghead is about a kid in highschool that gets bullied because he is different. The story is based around him but I think we might see other people perspectives.

7. My prediction is that the guy who is egg head gets bullied
    And there in highschool. And there is like 2 or 3 people who bully the egghead