The Independent Reading Project is a chance for you to explore a novel of your choosing! You have been asked to read a minimum of 30 minutes each evening. This project is geared towards fostering a student community that appreciates reading on a regular basis. We will also be focusing on vocabulary acquisition, summarization skills, and presentation skills.
Although there will be several work periods/check-ins throughout the duration of this project, the majority of this project will need to be completed at home.
Independent Reading Project Due Dates:
- Independent Reading Project Assigned- October 23rd (Wednesday)
- Book approval (email/meet with Mr. Washerstein)- October 25th (Friday)
- Check-in #1
- Book completed- November 8th (Friday)
- Check-in #2
- Part A: Vocabulary List/Journal Entries- November 12th (Tuesday)
- Check-in #3
- Part B: Creative Component/Presentation-November 18th (Monday)
- Presentations begin on November 18th, 2019
- Please note: students will lose 10% of their mark per day late
- Read with a set of sticky notes/Google Doc open to record new vocabulary terms immediately
- Plan your weekly reading schedule at the beginning of the week
- For those who benefit from using an audiobook, feel free to use that as a resource! Students should still be following along with the text as well.
What Should You Read?
Ideally, students should be choosing books that fall within their ZPD (zone of proximal development). I will be re-sharing your ZPD range prior to novel selection. You can use the Accelerated Reader Book Finder (https://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx) to check the level of a book. Our OJCS Library Catalogue also lists the book levels for many of the books found in our library (https://theojcs.booksys.net/opac/ojcs/#menuHome).
Student interest also plays a significant role in book selection. I want each student to choose a book that will pique their interest, offer a challenge, and encourage further reading.
Please read and review the assignment sheet below with your parents. Discuss the various choices/options that this project offers. Finally, please carefully read the rubrics to ensure comprehension. Happy reading!
Check out these digital resources! These websites can help you design your creative component for the project.